Rank Insignia Previous Honoree ID Next Honoree ID

honoree image
First Name: Oscar

Last Name: Johnson

Birthplace: Foster City, MI, USA

Gender: Male

Branch: Army (1784 - present)

Home of Record: Foster City, MI
Middle Name: Godfrey

Date of Birth: 25 March 1921

Date of Death: 13 May 1998

Rank: Chief Warrant Officer 4

Years Served: 1942 - 1945, 1959 - 1964
Oscar Godfrey Johnson, Jr.

•  World War II (1941 - 1945)


Oscar Godfrey Johnson, Jr.
Chief Warrant Officer Four, U.S. Army
Medal of Honor Recipient
World War II

Chief Warrant Officer Four Oscar Godfrey Johnson, Jr. (25 March 1921 - 13 May 1998) was a U.S. Army soldier and a recipient of the U.S. military's highest award for valor, the Medal of Honor, for his heroic actions during World War II.

Oscar G. Johnson, Jr. was born on 25 March 1921 in Foster City, MI; he also joined the Army from Foster City. On 16 September 1944, he was serving as a Private First Class in Company B, 363rd Infantry Regiment, 91st Infantry Division. Near Scarperia, Italy, that day and on the following two days, he single-handedly held his position at his unit's left flank after all other members of his squad had been killed or wounded. He was subsequently promoted to Sergeant and awarded the Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor

Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company B, 363rd Infantry, 91st Infantry Division.

Place and date: Near Scarperia, Italy, 16-18 September 1944.

Citation: (then Pfc.) He practically single-handed protected the left flank of his company's position in the offensive to break the German's gothic line. Company B was the extreme left assault unit of the corps. The advance was stopped by heavy fire from Monticelli Ridge, and the company took cover behind an embankment. Sgt. Johnson, a mortar gunner, having expended his ammunition, assumed the duties of a rifleman. As leader of a squad of 7 men he was ordered to establish a combat post 50 yards to the left of the company to cover its exposed flank. Repeated enemy counterattacks, supported by artillery, mortar, and machinegun fire from the high ground to his front, had by the afternoon of 16 September killed or wounded all his men. Collecting weapons and ammunition from his fallen comrades, in the face of hostile fire, he held his exposed position and inflicted heavy casualties upon the enemy, who several times came close enough to throw hand grenades. On the night of 1617 September, the enemy launched his heaviest attack on Company B, putting his greatest pressure against the lone defender of the left flank. In spite of mortar fire which crashed about him and machinegun bullets which whipped the crest of his shallow trench, Sgt. Johnson stood erect and repulsed the attack with grenades and small arms fire. He remained awake and on the alert throughout the night, frustrating all attempts at infiltration. On 17 September, 25 German soldiers surrendered to him. Two men, sent to reinforce him that afternoon, were caught in a devastating mortar and artillery barrage. With no thought of his own safety, Sgt. Johnson rushed to the shell hole where they lay half buried and seriously wounded, covered their position by his fire, and assisted a Medical Corpsman in rendering aid. That night he secured their removal to the rear and remained on watch until his company was relieved. Five companies of a German paratroop regiment had been repeatedly committed to the attack on Company B without success. Twenty dead Germans were found in front of his position. By his heroic stand and utter disregard for personal safety, Sgt. Johnson was in a large measure responsible for defeating the enemy's attempts to turn the exposed left flank.

Johnson reached the rank of Chief Warrant Officer Four before leaving the Army.

Death and Burial

Chief Warrant Officer Four Oscar G. Johnson, Jr. died on 13 May 1998 at age 77. He is buried at DeWitt City Cemetery in DeWitt, MI.

Honoree ID: 1460   Created by: MHOH




Honoree Photos

honoree imagehonoree imagehonoree image

honoree imagehonoree image

honoree image