Rank Insignia Previous Honoree ID Next Honoree ID

honoree image
First Name: Osborne

Last Name: Wiseman

Birthplace: Zanesville, Muskingum, OH, US

Gender: Male

Branch: Navy (present)


Home of Record: Zanesville, Muskingum, OH
Middle Name: Beeman

Date of Birth: 20 February 1915

Date of Death: 05 June 1943 (Presumed)

MIA Date: 04 June 1942

Rank or Rate: Lieutenant (junior grade)

Years Served: 1938-1943

Graduate, U.S. Naval Academy, Class of 1938

•  World War II (1941 - 1945)


Osborne Beeman Wiseman

Lieutenant, Junior Grade, United States Navy

Navy Cross & Purple Heart

Osborne Beeman, also known as Ozzie, was the son of Paul Carter Wiseman and Nora C. Dover, both of Zanesville, OH, who married on 28 Aug 1912 at the home of his parents, Dr. Osborne M. and Carrie (Carter) Wiseman in Zanesville, Muskingum, OH. Also born to them was eldest son, Donald Dover Wiseman, who weighed in at nine pounds at birth. Paul and Nora resided with Dr., and Mrs. Wiseman about a year after their marriage before moving in 1914 to 117 Warwick Ave, Zanesville. The lived there for more than a year before moving to Canton, OH in 1915 to work for the Timken Co. Paul and Nora remained in Canton until the summer of 1918 when they returned to Zanesville where Paul enlisted in the Fourth Recuit (sic) squadron air service on 4 Sep 1918.

He was stationed in Detroit in November 1918 when he received word that his wife Nora was very ill. His father, Dr. O. M. Wiseman, attended to Nora at his home. Paul arrived home on Friday, 08 Nov. Nora died suddenly on Sunday afternoon, 10 Nov 1918, of Influenza and pneumonia; a day before the armistice that ended the Great War. Nora was just as much a causality of the Great War as any of the thousands of soldiers who also died from the influenza. It was the war that sent great numbers of infected Allied troops to France that helped to spread the virus around the world. Nora was just 29 years old.

After Nora’s death, Paul and his boys moved in with his parents at their home at 165 Underwood in Zanesville. Also living with Mr and Mrs Wiseman was Paul's sister, Audrey Lee Rittenhouse and her husband, Ray. They married in Covington, KY on 06 Aug 1913. Paul was discharged from active service on 23 Jan 1919 and returned to Zanesville. A short time later, he rejoined the Ohio National Guard (O.N.G.) as a Lieutenant. In 1921, Paul served as the Commander of Zanesville Post No. 29, American Legion. He was active in the O.N.G. until his death.

Paul, while still living with his parents and sons, married his second wife, Margaret Terry, on 30 Nov 1922 in Muskingum county, OH. By 1924, the year Dr. Wiseman died, Audrey and her husband, Ray, and Paul, a painter, and Margaret, shared a home in Licking View, Muskingum, OH. Presumably, the two boys were living with their grandmother, Carrie Wiseman, at 165 Underwood in Zanesville. Audrey's husband died in 1927 after which she moved back with her mother to assist with the boys. In 1928, Carrie, Audrey and presumably Osborne lived in Audrey’s new home at 943 Market, Zanesville. At the same time, Paul, Margaret and his son, Donald, a student, lived next door at 944 Market. In 1930, Paul and Margaret, Carrie, Audrey Rittenhouse, and Ozzie and Donald, resided at 941 Market in Zanesville. Mrs Wiseman died in 1932. Then Audrey assumed the parental duties for the boys until Ozzie left for the Naval Academy in the summer of 1934.

Paul died suddenly of a heart attack less than 2 weeks after Ozzie’s wedding that Paul did not attend. Ozzie met June presumably during a social event held at the Academy for the midshipmen. It must have been love at first sight for them because Ozzie brought June home with him to introduce her to his family and friends in early Sept 1937 after he returned to Annapolis from his first class cruise on 25 Aug 1937. Osborne married June Laverne Smith on 18 Jun 1940 in Annapolis, MD. However, Delaware marriage records clearly state that Osborne B. Wiseman, 24, US Navy, and June La Verne Smith, 19, of Annapolis, MD., married on 01 May 1939 in Wilmington, DE (private story). Their only child, Judith Lee Wiseman, was born 26 April 1942 in Alameda county, CA. Ozzie never saw his daughter. Judith married Gerald F. Farkas on 17 Aug 1963 in Annapolis. June married George Frederick Holton at the Washington Memorial Chapel, Valley Forge, Chester, PA on 19 Sep 1943. They were the parents of several children.

Ozzie attended Lash High School in Zanesville from 1928-1932 and while in high school he was a member of the Glee Club, Chairman of the Motto Committee, and on the Zanesvillian staff. It was said about him, "None but himself can be his parallel." He received his high school diploma at commencement exercises on the evening of 02 June 1932 with two hundred and fifty-nine other students. His plans after graduation were to join the navy. Later that fall, Osborne took the competitive examinations to determine nomination for the US Naval Academy and Military academies. On 27 Dec 1932, the US Civil Service commission certified to Congressman C. Ellis Moore that Osborne Wiseman received the highest grade for the Naval Academy. Accordingly, he was nominated by the Congressman from the Fifteen district in Ohio. He received notification on 11 Mar 1933 that he passed his Academy entrance exams, and he was appointed midshipman at the US Naval Academy at Annapolis. He went to Annapolis the week of June 5-12 for a physical exam. If his exam was successful, he would matriculate at the academy in the fall.

Although academically qualified for the Naval Academy, Ozzie was twice turned down for a minor physical issue. Osborne took the competitive exam again in Jan 1934 and was a second alternate. He took the entrance exam in early March 1934. This third try was successful, and he was accepted. He received an appointment to the Naval Academy and entered at Annapolis, MD on 22 June 1934. His course of study was in aeronautical subjects. In the 1938 Lucky Bag yearbook, his peers said that Ozzie's Rubicon was the muddy Muskingum that he crossed when he left his home city of Zanesville. Not gold braid, but the desire to become a naval aviator lured him into the Naval Academy. Ozzie was interested in photography and turned out really fine work. He also won a reputation as a crooner singing popular songs in his dorm room. In fact, he joined the Glee club in his final year. He also rowed crew in his last two years. Academics were taken in stride as just another obstacle to overcome.

President Roosevelt was the guest speaker at Ozzie's academy graduation on 2 June 1938. Ozzie graduated #355/438 midshipmen. Following graduation, Ensign Wiseman, like almost all new Ensigns, expected to go to sea for their first assignment. After spending several weeks at home with family and friends, Ens. Wiseman board the train for a long ride from Zanesville to Seattle, Washington. He arrived on Wednesday, 29 Jun 1938 and reported for duty on 30 June 1938 on board the USS Saratoga (CV-3) at the Navy Yard in Bremerton, WA. One of the positions he held on board was that of turret officer. He detached from Saratoga in October 1939 and reported for duty as a torpedo officer with the new destroyer, USS Roe (DD-418), then in Charleston, SC. He served on board her until August 1940 when he received orders to flight training at the Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola. He detached from the Roe in September and reported to NAS Pensacola in early Oct 1940 to begin flight training. As a commissioned officer, Ozzie's flight training experience was vastly different from the many aviation cadets that were also undergoing naval flight training at Pensacola.

Ensign Wiseman completed his primary flight training in early March 1941. He received orders to report for duty involving flying with Bombing Squadron Three (VB-3) embarked USS Saratoga (CV-3) upon completion of all training. On 17 March 1941, Ensign Wiseman temporarily transferred to NAS Miami at Opa-Laka, FL for 6-8 weeks of duty with the Advanced Training Specialized Carrier Group. This group provided specialized training to pilots who received orders to fly carrier-based aircraft. During this training he received his coveted designation as a naval aviator (Heavier-than-Air) effective 28 Feb 1941. He was naval aviator #7221. He completed advanced flight training in May 1941. He was promoted to Lieutenant (Junior Grade) on 2 Jun 1941. He reported for duty with Bombing Squadron Three (VB-3) later that summer.

USS Saratoga (CV-3) was originally laid down on 25 Sept 1920 as Battle Cruiser #3. It was ordered converted to an aircraft carrier and reclassified CV-3 on 01 July 1922 and commissioned on 16 Nov 1927. She was the first "fast carrier." After work-ups and shakedown cruises, Saratoga steamed for the Pacific via the Panama Canal on 27 Jan 1928. Here she would remain until her sinking during the second atom bomb test at Bikini Atoll on 25 July 1946. During her inport periods and overhauls her air group squadrons were stationed at either NAS San Diego or NAS Seattle. While inport Pearl Harbor her squadrons were at various Naval Air Stations on the Island.

In the Spring of 1938, Saratoga participated in a large US Navy fleet exercise called Fleet Problem XIX conducted off Hawaii. When she returned to San Diego preparations began for a periodic overhaul at the Puget Sound Navy Yard scheduled to begin later that summer. For the next 18 months, Saratoga was in and out of refits at Puget Sound. She did not participate in any major fleet exercises until the Spring of 1940. On 6 Jan 1941, she entered the Bremerton Navy Yard for a long deferred modernization. She sailed from Bremerton on 28 April 1941. During the next seven months, Saratoga made several trips to Hawaii as the diplomatic crises with Japan worsened and then came to a head. On 7 Dec 1941, Saratoga was entering San Diego after an interim dry-docking in Bremerton. Saratoga hurriedly got underway the next day carrying Marine aircraft destined for the garrison at Wake Island. She arrived at Pearl Harbor on 15 Dec stopping only long enough to refuel. She was dispatched to Wake Island to deliver her planes. After a string of delays (some would say blunders) and intelligence that indicated Japanese landings had commenced on the Island, Saratoga and her "relief force" were recalled on 22 Dec. Wake surrendered the next day.

Saratoga continued operations in the sea areas around Hawaii until 11 Jan 1942 when she steamed toward a rendezvous with USS Enterprise, 500 miles southwest of Oahu. Suddenly she was hit by a torpedo fired from the Japanese submarine I-16. Saratoga wasn’t mortally wounded so she steamed under her own power to Pearl Harbor where her Air Group squadrons transferred ashore. After minor repairs in Hawaii, she steamed to the Puget Sound Navy Yard in Bremerton, Washington for permanent repairs. Her air group squadrons operated from Ford Island and during the next 3 months they were used to train new pilots and as replacement squadrons for the USS Yorktown and USS Enterprise.

On 18 March 1942, Bombing Three with Lcdr Max Leslie as squadron Co was temporarily assigned to replace Enterprise’s Scouting Six (VS-6) on board Enterprise. On 01 Apr, Enterprise got underway for two days of training and pilot landing qualifications. She returned to Pearl Harbor late in the day on 2 April. On 07 April, Enterprise and her squadrons were placed on a 2-hour sailing notice.

The “Big E,” as she was affectionately known, steamed out of Pearl Harbor on 08 April for a mission shrouded in secrecy. VB-3 flew on board later that day. Normally, the mission was divulged to the crew on the first night at sea, however, Admiral Halsey kept this mission a secret. On the morning of 13 April, USS Hornet’s task force appeared on the horizon, her deck sporting many strange looking aircraft. Later that evening, Admiral Halsey dispelled all the rumors by announcing the task force was proceeding on a mission to bomb the Japanese mainland. From that day forward, Enterprise would provide combat air patrol (CAP) coverage as well as reconnaissance flights until Hornet launched Doolittle’s 16 B-25s on 18 April 1942.

On that morning, heavy seas caused green water to cascade across Enterprise’s flight deck as the morning Combat Air Patrol (CAP) fighters launched at 0508. They were followed by three SBDs of VB-3 – Ltjg Osborne “Ozzie” Wiseman, Ensign Charlie Lane, and Ensign Oley Hanson – to conduct a two-hundred mile search to the West. A fourth Dauntless piloted by Ens. John Quincy “J.Q.” Roberts was launched for an inner-air patrol to the westward. At 0558, Wiseman sighted a small patrol craft forty-two miles from Enterprise. Adhering to previous orders not to attack, Wiseman returned to the ship and dropped a beanbag message reporting his contact. He stated that he believed he had been sighted by the vessel. His sighting was just one of a number of small fishing related boats that were placed in a line about 700 miles from Japan. They were to act as a trip-wire against an enemy force approaching the Japanese home islands. At 0744, Enterprise lookouts spotted the ninety ton No. 23 Nitto Maru only five miles away. With the second sighting so close Admiral Halsey ordered the immediate launch of Doolittle’s Army B-25s.

Shortly after 0900, the Army B-25s began lifting off Hornet’s flight deck. At 0920, the last of the sixteen Army bombers flew off into history. Enterprise planes attacked about five of these picket boats during the day. Radio intercepts from later reports seem to indicate that at least one of the picket boats was able to sent a contact report to Japanese authorities, but apparently it was received garbled.

Later that day, Ens. Greene (6-B-19) and fellow VB-6 pilots, Ens. Art Rausch (6-B-17), and Ens. George H. Goldsmith (6-B-15) with their rear-seat gunners RM3 Samuel A. Muntean, ARM2 Gail W. Halterman, and ARM 3 James W. Patterson, Jr., respectively, were returning from search missions. They landed successfully only on the wrong flight deck. Somehow, they confused Hornet for Enterprise. Three VB-3 pilots also suffered the same fate of landing on the wrong carrier. They were Ltjg Ozzie B. Wiseman (3-B-16), Ens. Alden "Oley" Hanson (3-B-5) and Ens. Milford A. Merrill (3-B-17). Their respective rear-seat gunners were ARM3 Grant U. Dawn, ARM3 Joseph V. Godfrey, and ARM3 Dallas J. Bergeron. They would remain on board Hornet with only the flight suits on their back until the carriers returned to Pearl Harbor on 25 April (source: USS Hornet muster reports for 18 April and 25 April 1942).

During the return transit to Pearl Harbor, Lcdr Leslie of VB-3 used the opportunity to carrier-qualify some of his rookie pilots including Ensigns O'Flaherty, Lough, Bridgers and Peiffer. Shortly before Enterprise and Hornet returned to Hawaii on 25 April 1942, VB-3 flew off from Enterprise and returned to NAS Kaneohe Bay. VS-6 would replace VB-3 on Enterprise.

VB-3 remained at NAS Kaneohe Bay until 27 May 1942 when the squadron was directed to report to the USS Yorktown and replace VS-5. On that day, three quarters of the Yorktown Air Group originally consisting of Fighting Forty-Two (VF-42), Torpedo Five (VT-5), and Scouting Five (VS-5) were replaced by the damaged Saratoga's displaced air group. These included Lcdr. Max Leslie's Bombing Three (VB-3), Lcdr. John "Jimmy" Thach's Fighting Three (VF-3), and Lcdr. Lem Massey's Torpedo Three (VT-3). Yorktown now had two bombing squadrons on board. This caused much confusion on the flight deck and the ship in general. In order to alleviate the situation, Bombing Five was temporarily renamed Scouting Five (VSB-5). The renaming of VB-5 did not sit well with the squadron's personnel, but it did relieve the confusion caused by having two different bombing squadrons on board. Enterprise got underway from Pearl Harbor on 28 May 1942, and with Hornet, steamed toward a point Northeast of Midway called "Point Luck." USS Yorktown (CV-5) followed on 30 May. The forces rendezvoused on 2 Jun 1942.

At first light on 04 June 1942, Yorktown launched ten Dauntless scout-bombers (VSB-5) on a search mission toward the northern semi-circle at a distance of 100 miles as a precaution against surprise by enemy carriers. The scouts returned at about 0830 with negative search results. The deck was then spotted for take-off of the strike package. Yorktown’s strike group consisting of seventeen Dauntless Dive-Bombers from Bombing Three (VB-3) including Ltjg Ozzie Wiseman and his rear-seat gunner, ARM2 Grant Ulysses Dawn who flew in SBD 3-B-16 with Lt DeWitt Shumway’s third division, twelve VT from Torpedo Three and six Wildcat fighters from Fighting Three departed Task Force 17 at 0905. Yorktown's strike package found the Soryu and attacked her beginning at 1025. By the time it was Ozzie Wiseman's turn to dive on Soryu, he and Ensign Johnny Butler in 3-B-12 could see that Soryu was a wreck. The carrier was burning furiously. He saw at least three direct hits and decided his bomb would be better used against one of the battleships. Although VB-3 records credit the duo with one hit and one near miss, Japanese records do not corroborate a hit. All seventeen of Max Leslie's VB-3 pilots made it home. At 1130, they arrived in the vicinity of TF 17 with expectations of landing. Yorktown signaled the SBDs into a holding pattern while she landed fuel-starved fighters.

Since VB-3 launched nearly one and a half hours after Enterprise, the Yorktown bombers had more fuel remaining. Yorktown continued launching. This time it was the ten scouts from VBS-5. Finally, at 1150, her flight deck was made ready for recovery operations. First to land on Yorktown were two bombers from Enterprise's VB-6. The VB-6 planes were almost out of fuel and would land on any flight deck they could find. As Leslie began his landing approach he was waved off. Confused about the wave off, Leslie learned that Yorktown was under attack. His squadron needed to clear the area until the all-clear was given. At 1210, Yorktown was hit by bombs. Bombing three was ordered to land on Enterprise and await developments. The first to land on Enterprise from VB-3 was Paul Schlegel and Ozzie Wiseman, at 1237 and 1238.

During the next thirty minutes, the Enterprise Landing Signal Officer (LSO) landed thirteen more SBDs from Bombing Three, as well as six Wildcat fighters from Fighting Three. On Enterprise, a strike group of 25 SBDs comprised of VB-6, VS-6 and Bombing Three who were unofficially called "bombing 63" together with sixteen SBDs from Hornet formed the task force strike package that was to find and attack the Hiryu. At 1525, Enterprise turned into the wind to launch eight fighters for CAP duty and the strike group of 25 SBDs. The Hornet group began launching at around 1600. By 1645, the Enterprise group spotted the undamaged Hiryu. A few minutes later they began their diving attacks. Enterprise planes were to dive on Hiryu while Yorktown's Bombing Three was to head for the nearer of two battleships. The Enterprise attack didn't seem to score any hits on Hiryu. Lt Shumway leading Bombing Three decided to shift targets back to the carrier instead of diving on the battleship. The Zeros had time to swarm in on the SBDs, and six VB-3 planes were attacked while in their dives. Anti-Aircraft fire was intense. Shumway, Cooner, Schlegel, Wiseman, Merrill and Hogan dived on Hiryu ahead of Dick Best of VB-6. Ozzie Wiseman was last seen being chased by Zeros after making his bomb drop. Neither he nor his radioman/gunner, ARM2 Grant Dawn, were seen again.

Ltjg Wiseman was reported missing in action on 04 Jun 1942. His remains were unrecoverable. His wife, June Wiseman, and sister, Audrey Rittenhouse, received telegrams about 18 June informing them that Ltjg Wiseman was missing following action in the performance of his duty and in the service of his country. In early July 1943, Audrey and June received letters from the Secretary of the Navy to inform them that after a full review of all available information, he was reluctantly forced to the conclusion that their brother/husband, Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Osborne Beeman Wiseman, United States Navy, was deceased, having been reported “missing in action” while a member of Squadron VB-3, based on the USS Yorktown, when the plane of which he was pilot was shot down by the enemy in the Battle of Midway. His death was presumed to have occurred on the 5th day of June 1943, the day following an absence of twelve months.

Ltjg Wiseman was awarded (posthumously) the Navy Cross, Purple Heart, Presidential Unit Citation w/ribbon, American Defense Service Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with two bronze battle stars, and the World War II Victory Medal.

"Bombing 63" is a combination signifying Bombing Six and Bombing Three.


Navy Cross Citation:

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Osborne Beeman Wiseman, Lieutenant, Junior Grade, U.S. Navy, for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service as a pilot of an airplane of a bombing squadron in action against enemy Japanese forces in the Battle of Midway during the period June 4-5, 1942. Defying extreme danger from a concentrated barrage of anti-aircraft fire and fierce fighter opposition, Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Wiseman, with utter disregard for his own safety, participated in persistent and vigorous attacks against the Japanese invasion fleet. His gallant intrepidity and loyal devotion to the accomplishment of a vastly important objective contributed in large measure to the success achieved by our forces and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Citation quoted from Times Recorder (Zanesville, OH) - 13 Nov 2016, Sun - p B1


USS Enterprise Presidential Unit Citation reads:

For consistently outstanding performance and distinguished achievement during repeated action against enemy Japanese forces in the Pacific war area, 7 December 1941, to 15 November 1942. Participating in nearly every major carrier engagement in the first year of the war, the Enterprise and her air group, exclusive of far-flung destruction of hostile shore installations throughout the battle area, did sink or damage on her own a total of 35 Japanese vessels and shot down a total of 185 Japanese aircraft. Her aggressive spirit and superb combat efficiency are fitting tribute to the officers and men who so gallantly established her as an ahead bulwark in the defense of the American nation.

Actions of the Enterprise listed in the citation include the Gilbert and Marshalls Islands raid of 01 Feb 1942; Wake Island raid, 24 Feb 1942; Marcus Island raid, 04 Mar 1942; Doolittle Raid, 18 April 1942; Battle of Midway, 4-6 Jun 1942; Occupation of Guadalcanal, 7-8 Aug 1942; Battle of Stewart Islands, 24 Aug 1942; Battle of Santa Cruz Islands, 26 Oct 1942; and Battle of Solomon Islands, 14-15 Nov 1942.


Ltjg Wiseman's family received a commemoration from President Roosevelt. It reads:

In grateful memory of Osborne Beeman Wiseman, United States Navy, who died in the service of his country, SEA, Pacific Area, ATTACHED U.S.S. YORKTOWN, 5 June 1943 (Presumed). He stands in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, he lives – in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men.

Signed, Franklin D Roosevelt

President of the United States


Task Force 16 Citation Recognizing its contribution to the Doolittle Raid, 18 April 1942

On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Second World War, it is appropriate that we take time to reflect on the unique and daring accomplishments achieved early in the war by Task Force 16. Sailing westward under sealed orders in April 1942, only four months after the devastating raid on Pearl Harbor, Task Force 16, carrying sixteen Army B-25 bombers, proceeded into history. Facing adverse weather and under constant threat of discovery before bombers could be launched to strike the Japanese homeland, the crews of the ships and LTC Doolittle's bombers persevered. On 18 April 1942 at 14:45, perseverance produced success as radio broadcasts from Japan confirmed the success of the raids. These raids were an enormous boost to the morale of the American people in those early and dark days of the war and a harbinger of the future for the Japanese High Command that had so foolishly awakened "The Sleeping Giant." These exploits, which so inspired the service men and women and the nation live on today and are remembered when the necessity of success against all odds is required.

(Signed) John H.Dalton

Secretary of the Navy

15 May 1995


Combat Action Ribbon (CR) note:

Navy/Marine flight crews in the Battle of Midway (or any combat) were not eligible for or were awarded the Combat Action Ribbon (CR). See Navy and Marine Corps Awards Manual (SECNAVINST M-1650.1 of 16 Aug 2019, Appendix 2C.1.c (3) Amplifying Guidance). It reads in part, “The CR will not be awarded in connection with aerial flight, . . . “ The CR was established in 1969 and made retroactive to 07 Dec 1941. According to the Awards Manual, when deemed appropriate, the award for aerial combat was/is the Air Medal.


According to the WWII Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Casualties, 1941-1945 list for Ohio, Osborne's next of kin was his wife, Mrs June S. Wiseman, 214 Lincoln St., Kennett Square.

USS Wiseman (DE-667) was named in his honor. She was launched on 6 Nov 1943 and was sponsored by Mrs June Holton, Ens. Wiseman's widow.


[Bio #260 composed by Gerry Lawton (GML470)]

Excerpts of USS Saratoga’s history from Naval History and Heritage Command’s version.

Excerpts from Pacific Payback, Stephen L. Moore, Published Penguin Random House Co., 2015 (paperback)

Honoree ID: 104704   Created by: MHOH




Honoree Photos

honoree imagehonoree imagehonoree image

honoree imagehonoree image

honoree image