Rank Insignia Previous Honoree ID Next Honoree ID

honoree image
First Name: William

Last Name: Yarborough

Birthplace: Seattle, WA, USA

Gender: Male

Branch: Army (1784 - present)

Middle Name: Pelham

Date of Birth: 12 May 1912

Date of Death: 06 December 2005

Rank: Lieutenant General

Years Served: 1931 - 1971
William Pelham Yarborough

Graduate, U.S. Military Academy, Class of 1936

•  World War II (1941 - 1945)


William Pelham Yarborough
Lieutenant General, U.S. Army

William Pelham Yarborough was born on 12 May 1912 in Seattle, WA, the son of Colonel Leroy W. and Addessia Yarborough. He attended high school at San Rafael Military Academy in California and later at Columbus, GA.

Military Career

In 1931, Yarborough enlisted in the U.S. Army, obtaining an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy in 1932. At his graduation from West Point in June 1936, Yarborough was sworn in as a Second Lieutenant by General of the Armies John J. Pershing. He was assigned to the 57th Infantry, Philippine Scouts at Fort McKinley, Luzon, where he remained until February 1940, when he was transferred to the 29th Infantry Regiment at Fort Benning, GA. He joined the newly formed 501st Parachute Battalion in late 1940 and was given command of Company "C." Later, as Test Officer for the Provisional Parachute Group in 1941, he designed the paratrooper's boot, the paratrooper's uniform, the parachutist's qualification badge, and a number of aerial delivery containers for which he received U. S. patents.

World War II

In July 1942, Major Yarborough was selected by General Mark Clark to be his Airborne Advisor and in that capacity accompanied General Clark to England. As a working member of the London Planning Group, he developed the initial concept and plan for the airborne phase of the North African Invasion. When the Paratroop Task Force departed Land's End, England, on 7 November 1942 Yarborough, as Executive Officer, accompanied it on its flight over Spain toward its target objectives in Algeria. This was the longest operational flight ever made by parachute troops. In the course of the ensuing action, the airplane in which he was flying was shot down by Vichy French fighter aircraft over the Sebkra d'Oran. He participated in combat operations to capture Tafaroui Airdrome in Algeria. A week later, Yarborough parachuted into Youks les Bains Airfield near Tebessa, Algeria (near the Tunisian border), and fought as part of a combined French and U.S. Paratroop Task Force in Tunisia until January 1943, when he returned to the U.S.

In March 1943, Yarborough returned to North Africa as Commander of the 2nd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division, and led his unit through the Sicilian Invasion. He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in May. Following a disastrous battle at Tumminello Pass, Yarborough was relieved of his command by Major General Matthew Ridgway.

General Clark then had him assigned to his staff. During Operation Avalanche, Yarborough served as the airborne officer of G-3, Fifth Army and organized the night drop zone to receive the latest elements of the 82nd, which had flown from Sicily to relieve the beleaguered beachhead.

Just prior to the fall of Naples, Yarborough was given command of the 509th Parachute Battalion. His unit, as part of Darby's Ranger Force, made the initial landings at Anzio-Nettuno and held a key position on the beachhead for two months. Later, under his command, the 509th and two attached parachute battalions spearheaded the landings in southern France, landing on a mountaintop near Le Muy before dawn. Cannes, Nice and Monte Carlo along the Côte d'Azur fell to the parachutists, who then turned northward into the Maritime Alps to protect the right flank of the U.S. Seventh Army as it moved north.

Yarborough returned briefly to the U.S. to attend the 21st course of the Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS. He returned to Europe in January 1945 as Commander of the 473rd Infantry Regimental Combat Team, which fought its way up the Ligurian Coast to Genoa and the French border as World War II came to an end. During this campaign, he was awarded the Silver Star.

Service in Europe, U.S. and Cambodia

In June 1945, the 473rd Infantry Regiment was shipped back to the U.S. for deactivation and General Yarborough, remaining in Europe, was named as Provost Marshal; first of the 15th Army Group, and later of the U.S. Forces in Austria and the Vienna Area Command. In the latter position, he organized the famous Four Power International Patrol of Russian, French, British, and American military police.

From 1947-49, General Yarborough served as Director of the Department of Troop Information and Education at the Armed Forces Information School, Carlisle Barracks, PA. In 1950, he returned to Europe for the third time to attend the British Staff College at Camberley, England. Upon graduation, he was assigned to the NATO Plans Section of the Joint American Military Advisory Group to Europe, stationed in London. He entered the Army War College as a student in 1952 and, after graduation, served on its faculty for three years.

In 1956, he became Deputy Chief of the U. S. Military Advisory and Assistance Group to Cambodia. He remained in this assignment until he returned to the U.S. Army War College for a temporary tour prior to assuming command of the 1st Battle Group, 7th Infantry at Fort Benning, GA, later moving it to Aschaffenburg, Germany. Leaving the Battle Group in 1958, he commanded the 66th Counterintelligence Corps Group in Stuttgart for two years until his reassignment to Fort Bragg, NC.

Commander of U.S. Army Special Warfare Center

In January 1961, he was appointed Commander/Commandant of the U.S. Army Special Warfare Center/School for Special Warfare at Fort Bragg, NC. Remaining until 1965, he was instrumental in the buildup of Special Forces, overseeing the activation of four new groups. He also worked diligently to increase the professional and academic standard of the JFK School, bringing in national figures in anthropology, history, science, and inviting leading political figures to speak. He initiated an exhaustive review of training programs and doctrine, and wrote numerous monographs on subjects pertaining to Special Operations, which are still relevant today. It was also under his management that foreign students were fully integrated into training and language instruction was expanded. He established five new courses, including the Military Assistance Training Advisor School, the Unconventional Warfare course and the Counter-Terrorism course. He also initiated a staff study that later resulted in the movement of the U.S. Army Civil Affairs School from Fort Gordon, GA, to Fort Bragg.

It was during his tenure as Commander of the Special Warfare Center that, in 1961, he arranged for President Kennedy to visit Fort Bragg. The results were twofold - acquiring the funding to further develop the Special Forces into a strategic unit within the U.S. Army, and the more visible sign - the authorization of the Green Beret for wear as the official headgear of Special Forces. Yarborough's design for the original parachutist's uniform was incorporated into the 1963 Army tropical uniform that was later worn by all Army units in the Vietnam War.


A Fort Bragg top-level U.S. Special Warfare team, headed by Special Warfare Center Commander General Yarborough, visited Colombia in February 1962. In a secret supplement to his report to the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Yarborough encouraged a stay-behind irregular force and its immediate deployment to eliminate communists representing a future threat:

"[A] concerted country team effort should be made now to select civilian and military personnel for clandestine training in resistance operations in case they are needed later. This should be done with a view toward development of a civil and military structure for exploitation in the event the Colombian internal security system deteriorates further. This structure should be used to pressure toward reforms known to be needed, perform counter-agent and counter-propaganda functions and as necessary execute paramilitary, sabotage and/or terrorist activities against known communist proponents. It should be backed by the U.S."

Yarborough encouraged "an intensive civilian registration program . . . so that [everyone] is eventually registered in government files together with fingerprints and photographs." Interrogation procedures and techniques, including regular questioning of rural villagers "who are believed to be knowledgeable of guerrilla activities" were advised. "Exhaustive interrogation of the bandits, to include sodium pentathol and polygraph, should be used to elicit every shred of information. Both the Army and the Police need trained interrogators." Pentathol was originally used by doctors for relaxation, but in the 1970s it was reported used by some Latin American militaries to induce "paralysis, agony, and terror."

"In general, the Yarborough team recommended that the U.S. provide guidance and assistance in all aspects of counter-insurgency…Civilian and military personnel, clandestinely selected and trained in resistance operations, would be required in order to develop an underground civil and military structure. This organization was to undertake 'clandestine execution of plans developed by the U.S. Government toward defined objectives in the political, economic, and military fields'...it would…undertake … 'paramilitary, sabotage, and/or terrorist activities against known communist proponents'." Yarborough did not feel that this would be successful unless it were under U.S. command.

Asian Service

After his tenure at the Special Warfare School, he served as Senior Member, UN Command Military Armistice Commission, Panmunjom, Korea where he was the chief spokesman and negotiator for the UN Command in talks with the North Koreans and Chinese. He then was assigned as Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Special Operations in the Pentagon with the responsibility of all Special Forces, PSYOP and Civil Affairs units and activities. In this position, he completed exhaustive studies on the state of insurgencies in Thailand and Latin America. A year later, he became the Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence on the Army General Staff where he monitored the Army's intelligence training programs, provided finished intelligence materials to the Army General Staff and directed the Army's personnel security program. He also directed the programs in which foreign military attaches assigned to Washington were involved and was responsible for their accreditation by DA.

During the final years of his career, Yarborough was the Army's top intelligence officer at the Pentagon in Washington, DC. He assumed the command of I Corps in Korea in 1968, a position he held for a year. I Corps consisted of both conventional and nuclear weapons, two American divisions and three Korean Divisions and a Korean Marine Corps Brigade, numbering approximately 100,000 men. In 1969, he was assigned as the Chief of Staff and Deputy Commander in Chief, U.S. Army Pacific, responsible for directing a wide variety of Army activities in the Pacific Rim, including planning joint training exercises, response to natural disasters and monitoring intelligence operations. He retired from the Army in 1971.

In 1971, the Army tasked him to prepare a classified Asian study on the state of the Asian continent after the Vietnam War. He also was a guest speaker for the National Strategy Information Center where he gave talks such as the Changing Balance of Military Power or the history of Special Forces to various groups around the country. He also was asked to visit various countries such as Rhodesia and Mozambique for the State Department. From his visits, he wrote various talking papers still in use today.

Medals, Awards, Badges & Tabs

Distinguished Service Medal with Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster
Silver Star Medal
Legion of Merit with 3 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
American Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star
American Campaign Medal
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with Arrowhead Device & 2 Bronze Stars
World War II Victory Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Italian Bronze Medal for Valor
Italian Cross for Valor
French Croix de guerre with Palm
Regimental Badge 3d Zouaves
Korean Order of Merit Second Class
Army Presidential Unit Citation with Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster
Combat Infantryman Badge
Master Parachutist Badge with 4 Combat Jump Stars
Special Forces Tab

A veteran of four combat jumps, Yarborough is known as the 'Father of the Modern Green Berets.'


He was honored on 30 September 2005 with the donation of a bust in his honor at the Airborne and Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville, NC.

In Retirement

Lieutenant General Yarborough was a member of the Rotary and Kiwanis Clubs. He was also an honorary member of the British SAS Regiment and a member of the St. John's Lodge 260, F&AM. He wrote two books: Bail Out Over North Africa and So You Want A Volunteer Army.


Yarborough first met his future wife, Norma Tuttle Yarborough (1918-1999), when she was 12 and he was 18. At the time, they were neighbors when their fathers were stationed at Ft. Benning. They became reacquainted when the two families were next-door neighbors at Plattsburgh Barracks in New York. The future Mrs. Yarborough studied under Karl Menninger at Washburn University when her father was assigned to Ft. Leavenworth. In 1936 she was crowned "Miss Topeka."

Yarborough and Norma were married for over 60 years. They had three children: two girls and one boy, LTG (Ret.) William Lee Yarborough, U.S. Army. Norma Yarborough died in 1999.

Death and Burial

Lieutenant General William Pelham Yarborough died on 6 December 2005 in Southern Pines, NC. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, VA.

Honoree ID: 3248   Created by: MHOH




Honoree Photos

honoree imagehonoree imagehonoree image

honoree imagehonoree image

honoree image