Rank Insignia Previous Honoree ID Next Honoree ID

honoree image
First Name: Stephen

Last Name: Thompson

Birthplace: West Plains, MO, USA

Gender: Male

Branch: Air Service, U.S. Army (1918 - 1926)

Middle Name: Wilkins

Date of Birth: 20 March 1894

Date of Death: 09 October 1977


Years Served:
Stephen Wilkins Thompson

•  World War I (1914 - 1918)


Stephen Wilkins Thompson
Lieutenant, U.S. Army Air Service

Stephen Wilkins Thompson was born on 20 March 1894 in West Plains, MO.

When the U.S. entered World War I in April 1917, he was a senior in Electrical Engineering at the University of Missouri. The school announced that seniors who joined the military before graduation would receive their diplomas in June. So he enlisted in the U.S. Army and, after basic training at Fort Riley, KS, in June, he was sent to Fort Monroe, VA, for training in the Coast Artillery Corps. On the train coming in to Norfolk he saw an airplane in the sky - the first he had ever seen.

When he got the opportunity he went to the flying field, the Curtis School at Newport News, and asked if he could take a ride. Thomas Scott Baldwin, who had been a famous performer in his own balloons and dirigibles, was in charge and said yes. The plane was a Curtiss JN-4 Jenny and the pilot was Eddie Stinson, a prominent flyer at the time who later founded the Stinson Aircraft Company. Stinson did a number of aerobatic maneuvers, including looping the loop five times in a row. Thompson said that the only thing that kept him from falling out of the plane at the top of the last loop was the lap belt. By the time he landed he had decided to apply for duty in the Air Service.

World War I

Thompson arrived in France in September and was assigned to the U.S. 1st Aero Squadron for training as an Observer. The commander was Major Ralph Royce, who became a general in the Army Air Forces during World War II. The training took place from a field in Amanty. The French day bombardment squadron Br.123, which flew the Breguet 14 B2, was nearby at Neufchâteau Aerodrome, and Royce was occasionally able to send one of his men along with the French on a raid.

First Aerial Victory

On 5 February 1918, Thompson flew as a gunner-bombardier with the French on a bombing raid over Saarbrücken, Germany. After the bombs were dropped, the squadron was attacked by Albatros D.III fighters, and Thompson shot one of them down. This was the first aerial victory by the U.S. military. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm for the action.

In May, he was assigned to the new 12th Aero Squadron at Ourches Airdrome, commanded by Capt. Lewis H. Brereton. On 28 July, now flying from a farm field near La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, he was in another memorable battle. While doing artillery spotting during a battle near Château-Thierry, his Salmson 2 A2 was attacked by four Fokker D.VIIs from what had been Richthofen's Flying Circus but was then under the command of Hermann Göring. Thompson shot down the first two planes that attacked him, but a bullet from the third hit his machine gun and disabled it. He was then hit in the leg, and his pilot was hit in the stomach by an exploding bullet. The pilot managed to crash land the plane before he died of his wounds. Thompson dug the bullet out of his leg with a pocket knife. The pilot who shot them down was the famous German ace Erich Löwenhardt, who at the time was second only to Richthofen in victories.

The uniform that Thompson was wearing when he shot down the Albatros D.III, and the bullet he dug from his leg are on display at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force.

Post-War Life

After the war Thompson worked for several years as an engineer at McCook Field, the predecessor of today's Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. He then became a high school mathematics teacher. During World War II, he taught preflight and meteorology. He maintained an interest in aviation and in 1940 he received U.S. Patent No. 2,210,642 for a tailless flying wing. He died in Dayton, OH.

Death and Burial

Stephen Wilkins Thompson died on 9 October 1977 in Dayton, OH, at age 83. He is buried at the Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum in Dayton, OH.

Honoree ID: 3146   Created by: MHOH




Honoree Photos

honoree imagehonoree imagehonoree image

honoree imagehonoree image

honoree image