Rank Insignia Previous Honoree ID Next Honoree ID

honoree image
First Name: John

Last Name: Reese

Birthplace: Muskogee, OK, USA

Gender: Male

Branch: Army (1784 - present)

Home of Record: Pryor, OK
Middle Name: Noah

Date of Birth: 13 June 1923

Date of Death: 09 February 1945

Rank: Private First Class

Years Served: 1942 - 1945
John Noah Reese, Jr.

•  World War II (1941 - 1945)


John Noah Reese, Jr.

Private First Class, U.S. Army

Medal of Honor Recipient

World War II

Private First Class John Noah Reese, Jr. (13 June 1923 - 9 February 1945) was a U.S. Army soldier who was posthumously awarded the U.S. military's highest award for valor, the Medal of Honor, for his heroic actions during World War II.

John Noah Reese, Jr. was born on 13 June 1923 in Muskogee, OK. He joined the Army from Pryor, OK, in 1942. On 9 February 1945, he was serving as a Private First Class in Company B, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Infantry Division. During an attack on the Paco Railroad Station in Manila, the Philippines, that day, Reese and fellow soldier Private Cleto L. Rodriguez went ahead of their unit, took a position closer to the station, and began firing on the Japanese defenders. Together they killed over eighty Japanese soldiers before a shortage of ammunition forced them to turn back. Reese was killed while trying to return to the American lines; he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. Private Rodriguez survived the battle and was also awarded the Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor

Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Army, Company B, 148th Infantry, 37th Infantry Division.

Place and date: Paco Railroad Station, Manila, Philippine Islands, 9 February 1945.

Citation: He was engaged in the attack on the Paco Railroad Station, which was strongly defended by 300 determined enemy soldiers with machineguns and rifles, supported by several pillboxes, 3 20mm. guns, 1 37-mm. gun and heavy mortars. While making a frontal assault across an open field, his platoon was halted 100 yards from the station by intense enemy fire. On his own initiative he left the platoon, accompanied by a comrade, and continued forward to a house 60 yards from the objective. Although under constant enemy observation, the 2 men remained in this position for an hour, firing at targets of opportunity, killing more than 35 Japanese and wounding many more. Moving closer to the station and discovering a group of Japanese replacements attempting to reach pillboxes, they opened heavy fire, killed more than 40 and stopped all subsequent attempts to man the emplacements. Enemy fire became more intense as they advanced to within 20 yards of the station. From that point Pfc. Reese provided effective covering fire and courageously drew enemy fire to himself while his companion killed 7 Japanese and destroyed a 20-mm. gun and heavy machinegun with hand grenades. With their ammunition running low, the 2 men started to return to the American lines, alternately providing covering fire for each other as they withdrew. During this movement, Pfc. Reese was killed by enemy fire as he reloaded his rifle. The intrepid team, in 2 - 1/2 hours of fierce fighting, killed more than 82 Japanese, completely disorganized their defense and paved the way for subsequent complete defeat of the enemy at this strong point. By his gallant determination in the face of tremendous odds, aggressive fighting spirit, and extreme heroism at the cost of his life, Pfc. Reese materially aided the advance of our troops in Manila and providing a lasting inspiration to all those with whom he served.

Death and Burial

Private First Class John Noah Reese, Jr. was killed in action on 9 February 1945. He is buried at Fort Gibson National Cemetery in Fort Gibson, OK, in Section 2, Grave 1259-E.

Honoree ID: 1612   Created by: MHOH




Honoree Photos

honoree imagehonoree imagehonoree image

honoree imagehonoree image

honoree image